2015: Losing Life and Finding it Again
2015 is just about done – arguably the hardest year I’ve had to come through, hands down. After all the crap that happened (which included losing two oumas in one year, getting mugged and beat up by 3 skollies and becoming single [although it’s nogal very lekker I might add]), there were also some brilliantly, amazing things that happened too, which included:
– Setting up a home recording studio and self-producing 3 Brother & Brother tracks (with the awesome help of my brothers Adrian Rogowskiand Mark Louis Ellis) and produced music for some of Cape Town’s most talented artists like Kyle ’27th Warrior’ Louw, Jerome Rex and JulianWenntertainment
– Finished production on my debut Fruit Vendor EP, shot a music video, shot a mini-documentary and started the Fruit Vendor Street Team – whose combined efforts helped me to raise the funds necessary to pay for the EP’s mastering. We are now 41 members strong! You guys are all my personal Giants! See you at the secret gig!
– I played at the Cape Town Folk ‘n Acoustic Music Festival at the Baxter Theatre , (where I got to perform alongside the hero: David Kramer, who really digged my stuff). Thank you Gavin Minter! I’m so stoked to get on the stage at Kirstenbosch come Feb 7th, with Kahn Morbee (The Parlotones), Farryl Purkiss, BlackByrd and Majozi.
– I got the opportunity to share the stage numerous times with Siphokazi Jonas – Poet, who put together 4 different kick-ass shows, the 3rd of which turned into the 8-piece Cape Renaissance super-group 12 YEARS A BAND (with Eden Myrrh, Zoë Modiga, Keanu Harker, Germaine Leonard, Rosco Keenan Roman, Jason Skippers and Mdu Sikhumbuzo Kaizen Ndebele – I love you guys very much), which got a standing ovation at the launch of this year’s Music Exchange (thank you Martin +Razia Myers). Catch us at Artscape on 31 March 2016 for our first fully fledged theatre piece.
– Did a total of 86 performances, less than last year – but still quite substantial nonetheless.
I also made so many new friends and rekindled some great old friendships – thanks for having my back, you know who you are.
All that said, it was only God’s grace that got me through this very tough and rough year. Sometimes you have to lose your life in order to find it again.
Here’s to a pumping 2016!