I’ve never done more than 30 shows in under two weeks before (I recall doing up to 30 on a weekly basis in 2013). As impressive as that probably sounds, it’s an exhausting exercise that requires little sleep, early mornings, late nights and power naps wherever they can be found. In order to catch up on shut eye, I found myself sleeping in the car, on the floor, on the couch and in the wings while rehearsing for the musical Eve’s Mark (which has now ended). In fact everything I’ve done over the last 3 weeks has come to an instant halt.

SAICA Roadshow
SAICA Roadshow

3 weeks ago I was up in Joburg rehearsing for the Cape Town leg of the SAICA (South African Institute of Chartered Accountants) Roadshow, the target amount of shows – 20. We ended up performing at 23 schools in total all over the Western Cape and as far off as Paarl. The aim of this industrial theatre show was to educate high school learners about the benefits of choosing pure maths from grade 10 onwards with the ultimate goal of them pursuing a career in commerce and/or chartered accounting. The irony here is that I didn’t choose pure maths (or as it was then known – maths higher grade), since I always was more interested in art. To get learners approach me after a show thinking I’m a chartered accountant never failed to amuse me. One girl even asked me if she can study music while pursuing accounting on the side and I was like, “NO”. She seemed rather dismayed.

While doing the SAICA Roadshow by day and rehearsing and then performing Eve’s Mark at night, my body was taking a hammering. Most mornings I would wake up around 4am, pull myself out of bed, prep for the day and get on the first train to the city. One morning I even strolled rather romantically in the gentle drizzle en route to the storage facility (while cursing myself for not bringing an umbrella or raincoat along). The city is a beautiful place in the early morning, it really feels like it’s asleep and then around a certain hour it just roars back to life sporadically. In the evenings I would get home between 11 and midnight, get my 4 hours in and start all over again. This went on for about two weeks. Last week Thursday, I did 5 SAICA shows and one Eve’s Mark show – the most shows I’ve done in one day so far, this year! It was beyond exhausting.

While all of this was happening I would still do sundry music gigs, like the Indie Showcase which happened at the Slug & Lettuce Riverclub one Tuesday night. Here I got to perform my song Pencil Pusher Man with a full backing band which included two keyboards, sax, guitar, bass and drums.

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/176197926″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”450″ iframe=”true” /]

The performance was broadcast live on Zone Radio, where-after I was interviewed and was also filmed using a live video mixer. I also didn’t know that the performance was advertised in the People’s Post that same day. Pity about the spelling of that headline. Have a look:

Headstart for Indie MusiciansThe last few days have been a mish-mash of sleeping any chance I can get, as I slowly get back into my own zone again – a much deserved rest and detox from that villainous character Roger. Post-production blues with regard to Eve’s Mark has also set in in a big way, which I invariably knew it would. There is something about the massive build up, hype and energy that goes into the lead up to a musical that is uncanny and is an experience you’ll seldom find somewhere else – and then the production ends and you’re left wondering what happened to your life. Now the process is merely to let it wear off gradually and naturally.

Production of the new Brother & Brother single commences today. I’ll keep you updated.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *